Important Dates to Apply for the 2023-2024 School Year
School Choice Open Enrollment:
Kindergarten: Open enrollment closes on Friday, August 25, 2023. Click here to apply.
1st - 12th grade School Choice Open Enrollment was November 7, 2022 - January 11, 2023. Please note this window is now closed.
All families applying for School Choice must first be registered at their feeder school. If you need to register, you can do so here.
Questions About Choice?
Contact the Choice Office by email or check out our Frequently Asked Questions or watch the Choice Information Night video above!
We also have quick tips available here.
Learn More About Our Schools!
Choice for Good Cause
The School District will continue to consider "choice" applications if it is determined that "Good Cause" exists."Good Cause" is defined as:
- A change in a child's residence due to a change in family residence.
- A change in the state in which the family residence is located.
- A change in the marital status of the child's parents.
- A change caused by a guardianship proceeding.
- Placement of a child in foster care.
- Participation by a child in a foreign exchange program.
- Participation by a child in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program.
- Or a set of circumstances consistent with this definition of "good cause".
- Click here to apply for 2022-2023 Good Cause "Choice"
- Click here to apply for 2023-2024 Good Cause "Choice"
Choice Program Fast Facts
In Delaware, the school choice program gives families the flexibility to choose the public school that best meets their child’s needs, providing space exists. Delaware residents with school-age children can apply to go to any public school in the state regardless of the Delaware district in which they reside. If the school has space, then the student will be accepted to attend. Only Delaware residents may apply for this program.
Open Enrollment for the Choice Program is offered November - January of the school year.
Transportation: Transportation to and from a Choice School is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Bus transportation will be provided from an already existing Brandywine School District bus stop only if there is space on the bus. The parent/guardian is responsible for getting the student to the most convenient bus stop with space available. Parents may submit requests via email to email@example.com.
Special Programs: The International Baccalaureate Program and Dual Language Immersion programs require students to choice to the schools that house those programs. Students interested in these programs must apply for choice during the Open Enrollment period. Please indicate on your choice application that you are applying to one of these programs.